Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Technology Autobiography


        I was born in a country where access to technology was very limited. The little technology available was under my parents’ control. I only had access to a radio cassette, typewriter, television, telephone, and camera; surprisingly, every use of any of them has to be allowed and supervised by an adult or simply said under a microscope, even my conversations. It was very frustrating! This frustration has followed me to my adult life, as technology becomes more and more integrated in the world. The domination has now switched side; it’s the new generation that has the skills to do it.

       In my era, technology was not popular as it is today. Our modest family was not so literate to develop a close relationship with technology and yet not dependent of the use of it. I remember how excited we were - my brothers and sisters- when my father granted us permission to watch a show in our black and white TV from the only national TV channel station. I was not fortunate enough like my children to be born in the digital age neither raised in such country where access to technology is unlimited. I cannot stop smiling to see how my children are so attached to their digital gadgets, games and computer. What a difference! This is so true that, now, my generation is finding themselves at the mercy of the younger generation. If I was under my parents’ management to use technology devices, now, the younger world has taken over. In my experiences as a mother and a student, I found myself, sometimes, asking my own children help with certain technology. The feelings of infuriation are back, and I feel like my generation is condemned to be dependent.

       Basically, there are no major differences between the sixties, seventies and eighties when technology is concerned. However, as of the nineties, technology has reached an exponential growth. It has evolved so fast, and has so much to grasp, that I am always struggling. The overwhelming and rapid integration of technology in schools has forced me to use it as a student and as a future teacher for my professional development.

     As I grew up, there are three powerful pieces of technology that I really enjoyed and favored. I use them in a daily basis. They are: television, laptop, and CD player. They have impacted me in such a positive way! I have to confide that I am not so” high- tech” but I am working on mastering the tool at least my proficiency. However, as a visual medium, the TV was always attractive to me, perhaps because of the images of motion pictures stimulating my interest. From the time I was a little girl, I have always finished all my chores and homework so that I can be allowed to watch TV. When I came to the U.S., I watched a variety of learning channels to assist me with learning and understanding English. TV was like my companion. I have really learned a lot from watching it.

        My second significant technology piece is my computer, which has made available to me access to internet as a wide source of world information. It becomes my primary tool to communicate with the world and especially my friends and family in my originate country. Besides of that, I am fascinated with all possibilities it offers: storing music videos, songs, TV shows, and pictures etc… This is one device that I think is fantastic, phenomenal, and convenient as it contains an array of uses for my enjoyment. And last, not least but, my third favorite is my CD player. It can be surprising as it is not the more advanced device with better features than the other. I have to confide that our relationship is so special because it was the first personal technology device gift I received in my early age. Even with my laptop around and which I use every day, I still more acquainted to my CD player- radio. Just because it is easier to manage, I guess.

After watching Olivia’s story and Learning to change…, my view of teaching with technology has changed automatically. Technology is so integrated in those student’s lives that we have to continue to provide them opportunities to use it to enhance learning. If Olivia was in my class for example, I would try to incorporate as much technology as possible in the learning. Because she already spent a big chunk of her time on the computer, which has been incorporated so much in the school. I would question or reconsider the traditional methods of teaching. By that, I mean changing textbooks ‘format, school materials etc. into technological devices. I am pretty sure that learning will be more interesting with it. Technology makes our lives easier, but it is also time consuming. As teachers, it is our duty to make good of a world that the youngsters have engrossed in, and by the same token, have better control over it.

 

6 comments:

  1. Ann,

    I see that you were born in another country and did not have access to much technology. Also, the technology that you did have access to, it was either limited and/or monitored. I know that this might have been extremely frustrating. You must have felt that you were unable to express yourself, or to explore your creativity with the pressure of others on your back. But, now that you are in the United States and have an open variety of different forms of technology, I know that you feel open and free, and that you will fully take advantage of these assets.

    It must be a huge transition to go from being the student who was monitored by adults while on the computer to now teaching children through technology, and them teaching you as well. Also, unlike what you dealt with in your country, children will be freer to explore different ideas, creativity, methods etc… I think that this will be a great experience for you to face together with your future students.

    Like you, there have been plenty of times when my four-year-old daughter ends up helping me fix the DVD player, phone, computer, ipod or other devices. It’s scary; the student has now really become the teacher! ☺ I am the same as you, fearing that the younger generation will become TOO dependent on technology and will not be able to solve problems on their own. However, at the same time, technology is very useful and helpful. Therefore, I look at it like this; it will be our jobs, as teachers, to balance between education, and the use of technology. Personally, I feel that technology should be used, but moderately. For example, as a teacher, before assigning research papers, I will make sure that my student has a great foundation on grammar, punctuation, sight words, the forming of thesis’ etc…

    Your usage of technology as a kid, using educational television shows in order to help you grasp the English language reiterates how important technology is to our growing world and how it can serve as a form of communication, teaching strategy and many other things that will assist us in this “new world”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true that technology is important.As I said earlier, we need to use it as a tool to help us-teacher and students- to enhance learning.It cannot be simply introduced in our classroom as manipulating devices but as a powerful tool to approach our students ' needs critically. I believe that it could be part of our way as teacher to help building or shape our student's future. We have to go beyond what we see to improve our global view on technology integrated in our classroom and our society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,

    One question: What is a typewriter???

    Just kidding!

    I find it so interesting to read about your experience with technology in another country. It must have been extremely exasperating to have everything monitored. But I'm sure there were good reasons for that, as I am sure you are well aware.
    I do agree with you on the exponential growth of technology in the nineties. And television is a great piece of technology. It can be so educational, no matter what you watch, and some people find it to be "a waste of time".
    I also agree with you about incorporating technology into the classroom. Because of its growth and the impact it will have throughout our future careers as educators, it is important that students have access to it academically. They will use it for social networking at home, but it is also extremely important that they do not get sidetracked in class!
    I really enjoyed reading your post and your view on technology and "Olivia's Story".

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne,

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! It was very interesting to read about how your relationship with technology developed and progressed from the time when you grew up in a country where access to technology was limited and highly monitored, to your experience moving to the U.S., to your more recent struggles to try to keep up with the ever-changing technology of the present day. I also found it interesting that you are often dependent on your children to teach you how to use certain functions on your computer and other devices. I believe that many people are having similar experiences right now. I know I often show my mom how to use different computer programs and functions that she never had the opportunity to learn about or experience.

    I've been thinking about what you wrote about how the younger generation is surpassing the older generations when it comes to technology know-how. I can sympathize with you - it makes me feel a little uncomfortable to see my five-year-old nephew expertly using an iPad! While I think it's great that the younger generations are gaining more and more access to and experience with emerging technologies, I worry that students will start becoming too dependent on fast access to information and quick fixes and that they won't be willing to work as hard to further their own learning.

    Like everyone else has been saying on this thread, I agree that technology is a wonderful tool, but there must be a balance between it and "old school" instruction. As a future English teacher, I think that teachers should also focus on inspiring students to read for pleasure, not only for academic purposes. I think writing instruction is also critical right now because many students are getting into the bad habit of bringing slang and abbreviations that they use for texting and social media sites into academic essays.

    Kate Holzlein

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,
    I think you have a wonderful story to share about your experiences with technology. Expressing that to your class one day will fascinate them. It's interesting how Oliva was teaching her mentor about technology, how your kids teach you about technology, and how I teach my parents about technology- well try to at least. I feel as if some people in my parents generation are not open to technology because they are uncomfortable with it and are happy with their "old ways." This is fine, I just am glad that you are so open to technology and use it for professional purposes as well. My parents on the other hand, try their best with computers and cell phones, but they get overwhelmed very easily. I wouldn't say that I'm the most tech savy person, but it's funny to watch my parents get so frustrated so easily.
    You are right in the sense that this is the world our students are growing up in, and therefore we need to make the best of it. I agree that we should take total advantage of whatever opportunities technology offers us for teaching.

    Kate Norgard

    ReplyDelete