Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Interactivity #3


 In spite of its challenges, this activity has been really helpful to me. It reinforces the idea that, in the “new literacy era”, technology and materials are available and I need to reap the benefits of them. Moreover, in the process to become acquainted with “digital literacy”, I must have the ability to use technology collaboratively and not only adequately but also to apply it “in a principled way to the subject matter at hand”. Basically, this technology inventory allows me to discover so many tools that I would never think was available to me .I learned that , as a foreign language teacher, there are  so many ways, so many tools that can be incorporated  in my teaching to plan and organize learning to facilitate and motivate learners . And, together-learners and teachers- we have the possibility   to influence mutually teaching content.

In my other classes,-Read 411 and curr 314- I am learning to design classes and how to empower students with literacy skills using standard. So, knowing resources and the functions of different media available is essential to meet the needs of students. Planning and designing classes according to standard requires to be “web literate” and” cultural literate”.   In other words, we must have the ability to help students to be empowered with skills to discover knowledge and information through media and technology. This means that teachers have to be not only literate but “media literate”, i.e. , master skills and competencies in using technology and media; in my case, to focus on designing situations, sequences, activities conducive to learning languages. Activities are designed in a way to encourage learners to participate in collaborative efforts. Reflecting on the process of this activity has enlarged my vision on my role as a teacher to facilitate learning¸ to orchestrate the classroom by making careful and considered choices of media and technology based on outcomes expected.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    I like that you brought up the idea of student empowerment. I think it's a very important concept for us to consider as educators. The idea that students are empowered through the skills that we guide them to acquire is a powerful one in itself. Your post made me realize that technology can be one means of empowering students to develop their skills and to learn in new ways. Technology such as computers can also empower students by giving them greater access to information and resources that will help them to succeed.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, you are absolutely right! Teachers must be media literate. As an older student, I sometimes have trouble keeping up with the new technologies that are constantly being invented. I recently just bought a smart phone. Friends of mine often call me "Grandma" because I spend very little time on the computer and have no idea what things are like Pintrest and Twitter. I am thankful for this class because I had no idea technology could be so useful (I had always considered it a nusance). I feel I must keep up with the newest technologies to be able to give my students the most well rounded and thorough educational experience that they can have. I feel it would be irresponsible for me to shrug off technology as a waste of time, when some great things are being done and huge strides are being made in education. Technology has heped many students with learning disabilities and disadvantages reach new highs. I also feel that as a teacher, I should be current on technology so I can relate to students on a more personal level, rather than just be their teacher. Students lives are shaped by how they spend their time and a great deal of it is spent online, using things like Twitter and Pintrest.

    ReplyDelete